Help for refugees and asylum seekers to understand their rights
Choose Language
  • Default
  • Afrikaans
  • Albanian
  • Amharic
  • Arabic
  • Armenian
  • Azerbaijani
    آذربايجانجا ديلي
  • Basque
  • Bengali
    বাংলা (baɛṅlā)
  • Belarusian
    Беларуская мова
  • Bosnian
  • Bulgarian
    български (bãlgarski)
  • Catalan
  • Cebuano
  • Chichewa
  • Chinese Simplified
  • Chinese Traditional
  • Corsican
  • Croatian
  • Czech
  • Danish
  • Dutch
  • English
  • Esperanto
  • Estonian
    eesti keel
  • Filipino
  • Finnish
  • French
  • Frisian (West)
  • Galician
  • Georgian
    ქართული (kʻartʻuli)
  • German
  • Greek
  • Gujarati
  • Haitian Creole
    Kreyòl ayisyen
  • Hausa
  • Hawaiian
    ʻōlelo Hawaiʻi
  • Hebrew
  • Hindi
  • Hmong
  • Hungarian
    Hungarian magyaChichewar
  • Icelandic
  • Igbo
  • Indonesian
    Bahasa Indonesia
  • Irish (Gaelic)
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Javanese
    baṣa Jawa
  • Kannada
  • Kazakh
    Қазақ тілі
  • Khmer
  • Korean
  • Kurdish
  • Kyrgyz
  • Lao
  • Latin
    Lingua Latina
  • Latvian
    latviešu valoda
  • Lithuanian
    lietuvių kalba
  • Luxembourgish
  • Macedonian
  • Malagasy
    Fiteny Malagasy
  • Malay
    Bahasa melayu
  • Malayalam
  • Maltese
  • Maori
    te Reo Māori
  • Marathi
  • Mongolian
  • Myanmar (Burmese)
  • Nepali
  • Norwegian
  • Pashto
  • Persian
  • Polish
  • Portuguese
  • Punjabi
  • Romanian
  • Russian
    Русский язык
  • Samoan
    Gagana Samoa
  • Scots Gaelic
  • Serbian
  • Sesotho
  • Shona
  • Sindhi
  • Sinhala
  • Slovak
  • Slovenian
  • Somali
    af Soomaali
  • Spanish
  • Sundanese
    Basa Sunda
  • Swahili
  • Swedish
  • Tamil
  • Tajik
  • Telugu
  • Thai
  • Turkish
  • Ukrainian
  • Urdu
  • Uzbek
    أۇزبېك ﺗﻴﻠی o'zbek tili ўзбек тили
  • Vietnamese
    tiếng việt
  • Yiddish
  • Xhosa
  • Yoruba
  • Zulu


What you need to know

You can access all the up to date information and advice about coronavirus here:

You can spread the virus even if you have no symptoms. People who are ill may have a cough or a high temperature.

If you need any treatment with coronavirus symptoms, you will not have to pay. You do not need to worry, your information will not be shared with the UK Government.

Please contact ‘999’ if you need urgent medical attention.

Public Health Wales has also created a coronavirus help booklet. It is available in many different languages:

‘Doctors of the World’ has provided information in many different languages:

Mental health

C.A.L.L is a mental health helpline for Wales. It operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year. It offers a confidential listening and support service during the coronavirus crisis.

If you need to speak to someone, you can call the following free phone number:

0800 132 737 or;

Text ‘Help’ to 81066

For information of any other help available, please visit this website:


Doctors of the World’ has provided information in many different languages:


During the Covid-19 crisis, your local authority should provide accommodation for refused asylum seekers. They should also provide this for anyone who is homeless with 'No recourse to public funds'.

Use the ‘Your Local Area’ page to find out how to contact your local authority to register for accommodation.

Your information should not be shared with the UK Government during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Education for all ages

During the Covid-19 outbreak, schools are closed and children are being asked to learn at home. If you do not have access to the technology you need to do this, your local authority should be able to help. Use the 'Your Local Area' page to find out how to contact your local authority to access technology.

Free School Meals

Access to free school meals is likely to be different during the Covid-19 outbreak. Local authorities provide funds to make sure asylum seekers can continue to feed their children. Use the 'Your Local area' page to find out how to contact your local authority to access free school meals.

Learning English

Some resources are still available for those trying to learn English. These resources are available below:

Headway online Free to access, Entry level 1- Level 2

ESOL Courses (beginners) , or

Asylum Law

During the Covid-19 outbreak, some of the asylum processes have changed or are on hold. Every person’s case will be different. It is important that you do not ignore official letters. Seek individual legal advice from a legal advisor in your area.


During the Covid-19 outbreak, the UK government has a scheme to avoid people losing their jobs.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D deficiency

We are currently advising people to stay at home. For most people, this will mean being indoors for most of the day. It could mean that people are not getting enough vitamin D from exposure to sunshine. 

Vitamin D helps to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy. It also plays an important role in the immune system, which helps our body fight infection.

The risk of vitamin D deficiency is higher among certain groups. This includes pregnant women, babies and young children. People who have darker skin may be deficient too. This is because their bodies are not able to make as much vitamin D.

It is recommended that people in groups above take a daily supplement containing 10 micrograms of vitamin D.

For further information, please visit:

Apply for a coronavirus test

Apply for a test

Before requesting a test you must have symptoms. This could be a new continuous cough. The symptom could be a high temperature. Or the symptom could be the loss of or change to your sense of smell or taste

If you develop one of these symptoms follow the self-isolation guidance.


You can call 119 (between 7am and 11 pm).

To get access to a translation service from 119, you need to select the following options once you have dialled: -

Press 3 to confirm you are calling from Wales.

Press 2 to confirm you would like to speak to an English operator.

You will the hear a recorded message. This explains that you should only book a test if you are experiencing symptoms. Once that has finished you then need to select option 2.

Once connected to an agent, they will contact Language line. You will then have a 3 way conversation with the caller and the agent


People with hearing or speech difficulties can call 18001119.   The service is available to help you book and take a test.

Use the 111 online coronavirus service if you cannot cope with your symptoms at home. The service can also be used if your condition gets worse or if your symptoms do not get better after 7 days.

In a medical emergency, dial 999.

Testing options

You may be able to choose how to take a test. This could be a  drive-through test centre or a mobile testing unit. Tests can also be taken at a local testing unit or at home if you are a critical worker. Tests taken in Wales are either a single dry swab taken from the back of the throat or a throat and nose swab.

Test results

When you book your test, you will receive further information on how the result will be given to you.  You should receive your test result within 72 hours.

Call 119 number if you have problems getting your results. People with hearing or speech difficulties can call 18001 119. The contact centre is open from 7am to 11pm.

Please visit the below website if you have any questions or need advice when you get your test results. Public Health Wales information for individuals tested for COVID-19 infection.


Download COVID-19 App

We need to stop the spread of coronavirus by testing and contact tracing. Contact tracing is a method of controlling the spread of infectious diseases. You may have to answer questions about private matters but this is to protect people’s health.


The NHS COVID-19 app is an important part of our Test Trace Protect programme. The app will notify you if you have come into contact with someone who has coronavirus.


The app allows you to report symptoms, order a coronavirus test, and record where you may have met other people.


The app will help the NHS understand if the virus is spreading in your area. Local authorities can respond to stop it spreading further and save lives.

The app does this while protecting your privacy. The government will not be able to see where you are or what you have been doing.

The app is available for download from the Apple app store or Google Play store.

By downloading and using the app, you can help keep your family and friends safe. The more people who use the app the greater our chances of reducing the spread of the virus.


How the app works

The app uses your smartphone’s “Exposure Logging” feature to check if you have spent time near others who have coronavirus.

Your Bluetooth needs to be turned on. This will not drain your battery as the app uses “Bluetooth Low Energy”.

It will use your postcode district to tell you if your area is at risk. When you download the app you will be asked to share the first 4 letters and digits of your postcode with NHS Wales.


Your personal privacy and data

The app will not hold any personal information about you or track your location. The app uses random unique IDs to detect other app users so that alerts can be sent. Using these random IDs means that your interactions with other app users remain private. All records, such as date, time and how near you are to other users, are stored on your phone only.

Coronavirus Rules (except December 25)

What do you mean by "Alert Level 4”?

Alert level 4 means that people must stay at home, except for very limited purposes. People must not visit other households, or meet other people they do not live with. Many types of businesses will close.

You must wear face coverings in the indoor public spaces that remain open. This includes on public transport and in taxis. People must self-isolate when told to do so by ‘NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect’.


Does Wales entering alert level 4 mean that I will no longer be able to see my ‘Christmas bubble’?

You can still see your ‘Christmas bubble’ on Christmas Day only. Holiday accommodation will no longer open.


What happens if I don’t follow this guidance?

You may be fined by the police or local authority enforcement officers. We must slow the spread of coronavirus.

How long will these measures stay in place?

The measures will be reviewed at least every three weeks.

When can I leave home?

You should only be outside of your home for very limited reasons, which include to:

get supplies and services for you or your household.

exercise, alone or with members of your household or support bubble.

access childcare or education

access medical services

access public services

deposit and withdraw money from a bank or similar establishment

provide care or help a vulnerable person

help the NHS by donating blood

work, or volunteer, but only where you cannot do this from home

visit a cemetery, burial ground or garden of remembrance

attend a place of worship

attend a wedding, civil partnership or funeral

attend court or meet other legal obligations, or to vote

escape a risk of illness or injury, such as for victims or people at risk of domestic abuse


What if I do not have a home, or I am in unsuitable accommodation?

Your local authority should help find you suitable accommodation. They have funding to support this. If you are in need of support then you should contact the housing options team in your local area. Their contact details are on your local authority’s website. The Welsh Government also funds organisations to provide housing advice and support. Further information is on the Shelter Cymru website and the Housing pages of this website (


Has shielding been reinstated?

No - It is not necessary for those who are in the shielding group to adopt strict shielding measures again during this period. The regulations in place act to reduce the circulation of the virus. By sticking to the rules, people who are vulnerable will reduce their risk of exposure.

You can reduce risks by meeting as few people as possible. Stay at least 2 metres distance from others. Wash your hands often for 20 seconds, with soap and water. Use hand sanitiser where hand washing facilities are not available. Wear face coverings.


Can I meet up with another household?

No - You must not meet up with anyone you do not live with, unless you are providing or receiving care. If you are an adult living alone or are in a household with a single adult, you can form a support bubble with one other household. This will allow you to spend time with the people in that household.


Can friends or family from another household come into my home?

No, except in some very limited circumstances.


Are the rules on who I can meet different indoors and outdoors?

No. Under alert level 4 restrictions, people must reduce all physical contact between households.


Can I meet up with someone if one or both of us have had the coronavirus vaccine?

No – the rules are the same for people who have had the vaccine as for everyone else.


Can I meet up with someone if I have been tested and I didn’t have coronavirus?

No – the rules are the same for you as for everyone else. If you do not currently have coronavirus, you are at risk of catching it from other people. You could then pass it on to others.


Can I form an extended household?

No, you cannot form an extended household at alert level 4. The only exception to this is if you are an adult living alone or are in a household with a single adult. You can form a support bubble with one other household.


Are the rules different if I live in a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) or supported living?

No. If you are a single adult or are in a single adult household within that shared home the same rules apply. You can be in a support bubble with one other household from outside of your shared home. This applies to anyone living in HMOs.


I share parental responsibility for a child with someone I don’t live with – can I still see them?

Where parental responsibility is shared, existing arrangements can continue. The child can move between both parents, and between both parents’ households.


My child does not live with me. There are regular arrangements in place so we can continue to have contact with each other. Can these arrangements continue?

Yes. These arrangements can continue. This could include children in foster care, children’s homes and adoptive placements.


I have caring responsibilities for somebody I do not live with, can I visit them?

You may provide care or help someone who needs it. This could be an older person, a child or a vulnerable adult. This is even if they are not part of your household or support bubble. You can also visit someone on compassionate grounds if necessary.


What do you mean by compassionate grounds?

This could be where the person who are visiting is struggling with physical or mental illness.


I rely on my wider family and friends to provide childcare while I am in work. Can they still do this for me?

Yes, but this form of childcare should only be used when no other methods are available. Children should not be cared for outside of their home if they are ill, or by anyone who is ill.


I live alone or am a single parent, so I am allowed to form a support bubble. Does it have to be with a household in my local area?

There are no rules saying your support bubble has to be with someone in your local authority area. They do not need to be within any set distance of your home.


Can I leave home to exercise?

Yes. Exercise is important for physical and mental health. You can leave home as often as you like to exercise. You should do so from home and alone or with members of your household or support bubble.


Are there any limits on how far I can run or cycle for exercise?

There are no limits on the distance you can travel during exercise.

Are parks open?

Parks remain open for outdoor exercise. You can visit parks with members of your household. You must not arrange to meet with other households. Some parts of parks such as sports courts, skate parks, bowling greens and golf courses will close.


Are children’s playgrounds open?

Yes. Keeping parks and playgrounds open supports children’s mental and physical health and wellbeing. You must not arrange to meet with other households at playgrounds.


Can children play outside in the street in their neighbourhoods?

Yes, if they do not have access to other outdoor space. Being able to play outside supports children’s mental and physical health and wellbeing. Children can play outside with members of their own household or support bubble. They should not arrange to meet with children from other households. This applies to under 11s as well as 11s and over.


Can I drive somewhere to exercise?

Exercise should be undertaken from home or as close as possible to the home. No journeys of any significant distance should be taken. People with specific health or mobility issues may need to travel from their home to be able to exercise. In these circumstances the journey should be to the nearest convenient accessible location.


Can I do other things while out for exercise?

Combining exercise with walking a dog or going to a shop to buy food, for example, is considered to be reasonable. The purpose of leaving home is to exercise.


What is a duty to self-isolate?

People who have tested positive for coronavirus must self-isolate for 10 days when told to do so by ‘NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect’. Those in close contact with someone who has tested positive must also self-isolate. Failure to do so can lead to a fine or criminal prosecution. You should also self-isolate if you are notified through the NHS Covid-19 app. If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you should arrange to have a test.


What exactly does self-isolation mean?

Self-isolation is where you stay home. You limit all unnecessary contact with others outside of your household. This includes not going to work outside your home. This is to ensure people who have tested positive for COVID-19 prevent passing it on to others.


I have tested positive for coronavirus. How long do I need to self-isolate for?

If you test positive for coronavirus, you need to self-isolate until at least 10 days have passed from the day you reported you symptoms. If you test positive but you do not know when your symptoms started, then you must self-isolate until 10 days after your test.


I haven’t tested positive for coronavirus, but I have been told by contact tracers to self-isolate. How long do I need to self-isolate for?

You will need to self-isolate for 10 days. Contact tracers should explain what you need to do.


I have been told to self-isolate, are there any situations in which I can still leave home?

You should only leave self-isolation for the following reasons:

to seek medical help, where this is urgent or you are advised to do so by a medical professional

where you are at serious risk of harm

to meet a legal obligation or take part in court proceedings

for compassionate reasons, such as attending the funeral of a family member or close friend

to shop for basic necessities, but only if nobody else can do this for you

to move house, because it is no longer possible for you to stay where you are living

to access veterinary services, if nobody else can transport the animal to and from those services

What support is available to people who have to self-isolate?

People on low incomes can apply to receive a £500 payment. This is if they have tested positive for coronavirus or they told to self-isolate by ‘NHS Wales Test Trace Protect’. The payment is available to people on a low income who are unable to work from home and would lose income as a result of self-isolating. People are able to apply for the payments via their local authority website and they will be backdated to 23 October.


My child has been told to self-isolate. Are they under a duty to self-isolate?

Children aged 16 and 17 must isolate according to the same rules as adults. In the case of younger children it will be the parent, guardian or other responsible adult who will be notified. Where a child needs to self-isolate as a contact of someone who has tested positive, no one else in the household must self-isolate.


Does my employer have to let me self-isolate?

Yes. Employers should enable any employee to self-isolate.


Can I still work from home when isolating?

If you are able to work from home, then we encourage people to continue to do so. Your employer should support you to work from home as much as possible.


I have had the coronavirus vaccine – do I still need to self-isolate?

Yes. The rules are the same for people who have had the vaccine as for everyone else.


Do I still need to self-isolate if I’ve been tested and I didn’t have coronavirus?

Yes. If you have been told to self-isolate by NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect then you must do so for the full 10 days. If you catch coronavirus from someone, it can take time for you to develop the virus. That is why self-isolation is important.

Do I still need to self-isolate if I’ve had coronavirus before?

Yes. The rules are the same for people who have had coronavirus before as for everyone else. You might have some immunity to coronavirus, but it's not clear how long that immunity will last.


What are the rules about working from home?

You must work from home if you can.


My work cannot be done from home – can I still go to work?

Yes. Occupations like construction and manufacturing can continue. Employers must ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to reduce the spread of coronavirus. Many public services also rely on face-to-face contact. These can continue where necessary.


My work cannot be done from home but I have concerns about my health and safety at work, what should I do?

If you have concerns that your health and safety is being compromised at work, you should discuss this with your employer in the first instance. If you are unable to find a resolution, you should contact your trade union or seek advice from Acas.

If you were previously shielding or are worried about being a higher risk, you can complete the COVID-19 workforce risk assessment. You should discuss the results with your employer. You should also speak to your trade union representative if you are a member of a union.


Can I carry out building, repair or maintenance work in someone’s home?

Work carried out in people’s homes can continue, as long as it is safe. Both the worker and household members should be well and have no symptoms of coronavirus. Physical distancing will need to be observed. We recommend that people consider whether the work can wait until after alert level 4 restrictions are lifted. This is unless it is to repair a fault which poses a direct risk to people’s safety.

I have already started building, repair or maintenance work in someone’s home, can I complete that work?

Work underway can continue as long as it is safe. Both the worker and household members should be well and have no symptoms of coronavirus. Social distancing will need to be observed at all times. We recommend that people consider whether the work can wait.


Can I deliver support in emergency accommodation, supported accommodation or in someone’s home?

Homelessness, housing and support services can be delivered face-to-face. Support providers should ensure that all measures are taken to reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading. Service providers should also consider whether the support can be provided by telephone or video calls.


Can I do voluntary work?

Yes, although you must do so from home if possible. You can also go out to provide care or help to a vulnerable person, including emergency help. This includes getting food and medicines for them. It is important you do not put yourself or the person you are caring for at risk.


Does my business have to close under the new restrictions?

We have published a full list of businesses that are required to close in alert level 4.


I work in a business that will be forced to close down/affected by these regulations. Is financial support being made available to support my job?

Yes, businesses affected by COVID-19 should have access to the support available from the UK Government. This is through the existing Job Retention Scheme (on GOV.UK) which will continue until the end of March 2021.


Is there any support available for people experiencing a reduction in income. for example, those on zero hour contracts?

You may be able to access support through the Discretionary Assistance Fund and apply for Universal Credit.


What support is available for self-employed people and freelancers?

Self-employed people may be able to access the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (on GOV.UK). Freelancers working in cultural and creative sectors are able to apply for the Cultural Recovery Fund. The Welsh Government has given £25m to local authorities to provide a grant for affected businesses. Coronavirus support for businesses can also be found on the Business Wales website.


Can businesses operate a delivery service, even if they are required to close?

Yes. Businesses can provide an online or telephone delivery service.


Can businesses operate click and collect services, even if they are required to close?

At alert level 4 all shops and other types of businesses required to close can offer “click and collect” or similar services. To reduce the number of journeys people make, all goods and services should be ordered in advance online. This can be by telephone or mail order. All reasonable measures must be put in place to ensure a 2 metre distance is maintained.


Will primary schools remain open at alert level 4?

Yes. Primary schools will remain open in alert level 4, other than during usual school holidays.


Will secondary schools remain open at alert level 4?

Yes. Secondary schools will remain open in alert level 4, other than during usual school holidays.


I am a key worker – what happens if my child’s school has to close temporarily?

Schools which close for more than two days due to coronavirus need to make on-site open for critical workers’ children from the third day.


My child has additional learning needs, is there support for them if their school has to close temporarily?

Schools which close for more than two days due to coronavirus need to make on-site open for critical workers’ children from the third day.


I live in Wales but travel daily to England to attend school, college or university. Can I still go there?

Yes. If you attend school, college or university in England, it is a reasonable excuse to travel there. This is if you are unable to access your education online for this period. This also applies to staff who travel to England to teach at schools, colleges or universities. You need to be mindful of any restrictions in place in the area you are travelling to in England.


What are the rules on teaching at universities?

Universities can continue to provide a combination of in person teaching and blended learning at alert level 4.


Are university students who live away from home expected to return home?

We are asking all students to keep their travelling between university and home to a minimum.


What are the rules for colleges?

Colleges are able to stay open at Level 4. Work-based learning, including apprenticeships can continue as normal at alert level 4.


Will I still be able to use childcare and play services at alert level 4?

Yes. Childcare services will still be allowed to open. This includes day care, child minding, sessional, crèche, out of school/holiday provision and flying start provision. Nannies can also continue to provide childcare. All childcare and playwork providers can remain open and offer their normal services. This includes provision through the school holidays.


Can family or friends provide informal childcare?

Yes, but this form of childcare should only be used when no other methods are available. Children should not be cared for outside of their home if they are ill, or by anyone who is ill. Adults dropping off children for childcare should not enter someone else’s home.


Are activities and clubs for children allowed to run?

No (unless they are provided online).


Are libraries allowed to open at alert level 4?

Libraries are closed. They may provide click and collect and home delivery services. Hospital libraries and libraries at education establishments can remain open.


Can I still access health services?

NHS Wales is still available to help you if you need care. It is important you continue to attend appointments and seek help for urgent medical issues. You can leave your home to access local health services. This includes your GP surgery, dentist or other health service (including mental health services). Advice on services that are still operating is available on your health board or trust website. If you have symptoms of coronavirus do not visit your GP, hospital, pharmacy, optometrist or dentist.


Can I visit someone in hospital?

You are advised to check the health board or trust website for local information before visiting.


Can I visit someone in a care home?

Routine visits (indoors and outdoors) should not take place while alert level 4 restrictions are in place. Visits to care homes in exceptional circumstances including, but not restricted to, end of life visits are allowed.


Can I still see my support worker?

Yes, you can still see your support worker. Support services should assess whether support can be delivered through phone or video.


What shops are allowed to open at alert level 4?

Shops allowed to remain open include supermarkets and other food retailers. Pharmacies, banks and post offices will also remain open. The use of online services and deliveries should be considered.


Why are some shops closed and not others?

People should do everything they can to keep the amount of times they leave home to a minimum. They should also consider whether alternatives such as home delivery are available.


Why are parts of supermarkets closed?

If the products you wish to buy are not essential, you should not be making a special trip out to buy them. It would also not be fair to allow supermarkets to sell all those products, which are sold by other retailers that have been required to close.


I need to buy something that is physically in the shop but is not available for sale – what can I do?

In exceptional circumstances shops can sell products that are not on general sale at alert level 4. Those products must be required in an emergency or on compassionate grounds. You should make enquiries within the store as to how to access these products.


Will checkout staff or police be going through my trolley to check whether the items I have bought are essential?

No, this should not happen. Customers should not to be looking to buy products that are not on general sale unless there are exceptional circumstances.


What restrictions are in place on alcohol sales?

Shops must stop selling alcohol from 10pm. They cannot begin to sell alcohol again until 6am the next day. Online deliveries from supermarkets and other providers must not include alcohol after 10pm.


Can hairdressers and beauty salons stay open?



Are refuse and recycling centres open?

Yes, these can remain open.


Can close contact services stay open?

The majority of close contact services must close during alert level 4. This includes massage and acupuncture. In the majority of circumstances, tattoo and hair and beauty services. The only exceptions to this is where there is a referral in place for a qualified therapist to provide medical treatments for illness or injury.


Are cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars able to open?

These premises can open for takeaway services only. Alcoholic drinks cannot be sold between 10pm and 6am. Physical distancing measures must be applied. Customers and staff are required to wear a face covering.


What entertainment venues are closed?

All arts and entertainment venues must close. This includes:

cinemas (including drive-in cinemas)

bowling alleys

soft play centres trampoline parks and centres

skating rinks

indoor skate parks and centres



bingo halls


amusement arcades


amusement parks and theme parks

theatres and concert halls


sexual entertainment venues

What attractions can open and what must close?

All visitor attractions must close, whether indoors or outdoors.


Are professional sports and elite sports allowed?

Professional sports will be able to continue. Any non-professional sporting events would need to be authorised by Ministers. Spectators will be prohibited from attending sporting events.


Are there travel restrictions in place in Wales?

Yes. Travel is limited to essential travel only. For example, for caring responsibilities or for work purposes where people cannot work from home.


I live in Wales, can I go on holiday in Wales or elsewhere?

No. Going on holiday is not one of the permitted reasons to travel under the Regulations at alert level 4.


Can I travel to see my support bubble?


Can I collect or drop off someone at the airport if they are travelling to Wales for an allowed purpose?

Yes, if the only alternative would be for them to use public transport or a taxi.


Are accommodation businesses in Wales allowed to open?

No, all accommodation businesses are required to be closed. Accommodation businesses can continue to provide accommodation for anybody who would be homeless.


Is public transport still operating?

Services are continuing, particularly during peak times. Bus and rail timetables have been reduced and subject to late cancellations. Face coverings must be worn on public transport. Please check the latest service information before you travel.


Can taxis still operate?

Yes, taxis can still operate. All journeys must be for one of the very limited purposes allowed under alert level 4 restrictions. Face coverings must be worn in taxis.


Can I still have repair and maintenance work done on my vehicle?

Yes, if this is necessary and cannot wait.


My MOT is due – do I still have to get it done?

Yes, you still need a valid MOT certificate if you need to use your vehicle for essential travel.


Can I car share or give someone a lift?

Please avoid sharing a car with another person outside your household. You can follow this guidance on travelling safely.


Can I have driving lessons?

No, driving lessons should not take place.

I have a driving test or theory test booked during this period – can it go ahead?

No – you should rearrange your test. There is currently no charge for rearranging your test with DVSA.


Where will face coverings be required?

Face coverings must be worn in all indoor public places. This includes on public transport and taxis, and in places where take-away food and drink is sold. This applies to everyone aged 11 and over, unless an exception applies.


Are face coverings required in education and childcare settings?

Face coverings should be worn by secondary school learners and staff everywhere outside the classroom.


Will I have to wear a face covering in my workplace?

If you work in an area open to the public, yes. If not, your employer should advise you.


Can I move home?

Yes, if you cannot delay the moving date until after alert level 4 restrictions are lifted.


Can home viewings take place?

Virtual viewings should take place wherever possible. Viewings of properties can take place during alert level 4 but household mixing must be avoided.


Can a valuation or mortgage survey be done at my property?

Yes, as long as it is safe. Both the worker and household members should be well and have no symptoms of coronavirus. Wherever possible this should wait until alert level 4 restrictions are lifted.

Are refuges still open?

Emergency accommodation for victims fleeing domestic abuse and sexual violence remain open.

What are the rules for religious services?

Places of worship are allowed to be open to the public. Ceremonies for weddings, funerals and other life events such as bar mitzvahs and baptisms are permitted in places of worship.


Are all potential wedding or civil partnership ceremony venues now allowed to open?

Places of worship and Register Offices are able to remain open for wedding and civil partnership ceremonies. Other ‘approved premises’ such as hotels, are required to close.


Are there limits to the number of people who can attend ceremonies for weddings, funerals and other life events?

The number who are able to attend a ceremony depends on the venue capacity with physical distancing measures applied.


What are the rules on holding receptions and other celebrations?

Wedding and civil partnership receptions are not allowed. Celebrations ssociated with other life events, such as for bar mitzvahs or baptisms are also not allowed.


A close family member has died and I need to organise the funeral – what do I do?

Funerals can be a distressing experience. The impact of coronavirus is making it even more difficult to make practical arrangements. Guidance on funerals has been issued.


Can I go to a funeral?

Yes, but you must be invited. Numbers are constrained by the need to put physical distancing measures in place.

Can I hold a wake or another form of gathering following a funeral?

No – these gatherings are not allowed.

Can I go to a cemetery to visit a family member’s grave?



Are vets still able to work?

Yes, but you should only seek treatment for your animals if it is urgent.


Who enforces the restrictions?

The restrictions are being enforced by local authority enforcement officers and the police.


What can police and local authority enforcement officers do?

They can issue fines or recommend prosecution in a magistrates’ court. They also have wide-ranging powers to disperse gatherings.


What will the police do?

The police will engage with people, explain what they need to do and encourage them to comply. Our police forces have been given powers and they will use them if necessary.

Most types of breaking the law may lead to a £60 fine. This can be increased to £120 if you break the laws again. If the law is broken a third time the fine will increase to £240. The fine will continue to double every time the rules are broken up to a maximum fine of £1,920.

Organising an unlicensed music event of more than 30 people is a separate criminal offence. Breaking this rule may lead to an unlimited fine or a fine of £10,000.




Coronavirus Rules (December 25 Only)

IMPORTANT - This guidance applies in relation to 25 December only.


‘Christmas Bubble’

You can form a ‘Christmas bubble’ of no more than 2 households (your household and one other household). You can only be part of one ‘Christmas bubble’. You cannot change the members of your bubble.

You can travel anywhere within the UK to meet your ‘Christmas bubble’.

If you are travelling away from home, you should travel and return home within the course of 25 December.

You must not form a ‘Christmas bubble’ if you, or someone in your extended household, is self-isolating.

A single-person household (or where one adult lives with children under 18) can also join a ‘Christmas bubble’.


Separated parents of children under 18

Children (aged under 18) whose parents do not live together may be part of both parents’ Christmas bubbles. This is if their parents choose to form separate bubbles. Nobody else should be in two bubbles.


Forming a different Christmas bubble to the people you live with

You may form a different Christmas bubble from the people you live with.

If you live in shared accommodation such as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If you live within a shared home the same rules apply as for a household with its own home. You can be in a Christmas Bubble with one other household from outside of your shared home. You can only gather in shared facilities in groups of up to 4 people at a time, not including any children aged under 11.

If you’re a student who’s moved home from university

If you are a student who has moved home from university, you are part of the household to which you have returned. You are not treated as part of your term-time household for this period.

Meeting people in private homes and gardens

If someone is in your Christmas bubble, you can visit each other’s homes on 25 December. You must not meet friends or family in your home or garden unless they are part of your Christmas bubble. We know that it’s easier to catch and spread the virus in an indoor space, especially if there is little flow of fresh air.

When meeting your Christmas bubble you should take these measures to prevent the spread of the virus:

wash your hands frequently

clean touch points regularly, such as door handles and surfaces

keep socially distanced from anybody you do not live with as much as possible

make sure you let as much fresh air in as you can during a visit by opening windows and doors.


Meeting people in other indoor settings

From 20 December, Wales will be at alert level 4. This means that pubs, restaurants, bars, cafes and non-essential retail will all close.


Accessing informal childcare from family and friends

You can continue to access informal childcare provided by family and friends. As a general rule informal childcare should only be used where there are no alternatives available. If you want to meet socially with the other household providing childcare for you, you should include them in your Christmas bubble.


Meeting people outdoors

You can spend time with any number of members of your Christmas bubble on Christmas Day in your garden or in any outdoor public place.


You must follow rules on self-isolation. This means you should not form a Christmas bubble if you are self-isolating. If you, or any member of your Christmas bubble, develop symptoms all members of the Christmas bubble must self-isolate.


If you are a care home resident

Care home providers should seek to accommodate the wishes of residents of care homes and their family or friends. This is to ensure a safe Christmas visit or a meal, should they want to do this, subject to the needs of other residents. f there is an outbreak in the home, visits should not take place.


Staying overnight with your Christmas bubble

You can no longer stay overnight with other members of your Christmas bubble on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. This is unless they are also part of your pre-existing Support Bubble.


Staying overnight in holiday accommodation

You can no longer stay in a hotel or other holiday accommodation during the Christmas period.


After meeting your Christmas bubble

Wales will continue to be at alert level 4 after Christmas. This means that all people in Wales should stay home, unless they have a reasonable excuse to leave. You will only be able to meet the people you live with or people you are in a support bubble with.

Children should continue to go to school once schools return. Children can continue to attend childcare over the festive period. Childcare and playwork settings will remain open. There may be some changes to their operating times over the festive period and you should check this with your provider. You can continue to access informal childcare from family and friends. In the weeks after Christmas you can go to work if you cannot work from home, but you should avoid unnecessary social interaction. Any increase in contact with other people increases the risk you will catch or spread coronavirus.